Thursday, May 20, 2010

Park Day

So each Thursday is the homeschooling group park day, it's from 1 until about 4pm, at a park close by. It is something everyone at my house look forward to, including me. Today there were about 10 Moms and countless number of kids, I would say 25-30 kids, give or take. The Moms all hang out with the little babies under the shade of the ramada while the kids do a sport with Jenn or play on the playground, or just run around playing zombies or princesses, or whatever is on the agenda. It is quite a nice time all around.
I realized this week, that Moms for the most part, are really just girls at heart. We like to joke, just like when we were teenagers, we like to gross each other out, we like to talk about our significant other, we like to laugh and hug and compete and gossip, we like to have the best idea, or the best recipe, or the best weird story of the week, or the best place to buy organic produce, or the best tincture for curing baby rash. We are mostly all nice to each other, but there is always that underlying bitchiness that no woman can escape, even really old ones.

Cattiness, bitchiness, it's there at every stage of your life.

I felt it when a certain Mom at Romans preschool used to never talk to me, just in passing each other in the parking lot, she would ignore me, while saying hello to every other Mother in the school..
I felt it at Cliahs school last year, when the Moms in the cool clique would always be buddy-buddy and exclude me at all the school events.. I wasn't the only Mom who got snubbed...
I felt it from certain Mothers at the midwives office, Moms who thought they were so special because they were uber cool and wore there shirts so there bellies were showing or had dreadlocks and ignored all the regular average Mothers..
I felt it when there was gossip going around about a certain woman in a Mom group that everyone started to ignore, someone who was my friend, and I knew that if I didn't give up as a friend, I would soon join in exile. Just so you know, I did not give her up, I ended up giving up the group.. Why is that always the option to conflict? Choose sides and then give up someone.. it really is not very fair
I don't think men realize what a big bunch of girls women really are.. The only thing left would be for us to start pulling hair, or pushing our boobs up a little higher.. how about if we just claw each other like cats?

But that isn't why I go to park day.. I go to park day because I get to be a grown up with some other Moms and I get to get out and have a few laughs.. I just wish some of the cattiness that I witness would vanish, it's so high school, and I am 35 and just want to chillax at the park.. that being said ------ Park day rules!

0 comments: