Wednesday, July 21, 2010

All Mothers are slightly Insane - JD Salinger

I was just getting into bed with my 1 year old and thinking about this quote. As I tried to sneak out of bed so Molly wouldn't hear me, I realized I am slightly insane and I don't even mind. Does that make it worse?

So when did it start? Did it start during my first pregnancy? Cravings of KFC, added weight to my butt, realizing that my body was never ever going to be the same. Or was it when my first Mothers Day rolled around and thinking, "Wow, this is a it?..." ha ha. Was it the excruciatingly, joyful childbirth? The audacity to forget the excruciating part?

Maybe it was the first time I asked my husband to watch a pot of lasagna noodles cooking and came back to a burnt, stuck, mess. Realizing that day that dinner was my responsibility and mine alone, forever. Was it the dinners made, but then skipped so I could take care of an infant, only to come back to a big mess?

Was it the time I found my 1 year old little baby eating her own poo? Was it the time I got puked on, the 2nd time, the 12th time? Was it the time I couldn't find Cliah who was 2 at the time at the Phoenix Swap Meet, only to find her hiding right next to us under a table.. or the time she got lost in a big store, again only to find her hiding.. Maybe it is the number of personal items the kids have broken over the years, jewelry, collectibles, nick nacks.. The babysitters that quit, the crayon on the walls, the stitches, the dirty diapers, the late night terrors.. the chickens, the lambs, the lawn mowing, the oil changes, the oven cleaning, the schooling, the dishes, the spouses constant requirements, the getting ready on time, the fighting in the car, the pulled hair, the cut hair,the spilled milk, the spilled popcorn, the ouchies, the band aids, the clogged toilets, the laundry, oh the laundry, the ironing, the bills, the TV, the story time, bed time, bath time, time out, Dr. appointments, play dates, the Mom, Mom, Mom, the puppies and kittens and litter boxes and realizing that you are responsible for feeding the animals also, cupcakes to make, cookies baked, Christmas time, holidays, doing the hair or nails of my little girls, pretty dresses, making crafts, princess games, castles, witches and dragons, hearing Mattie singing a beautiful song, seeing Cliah dressed up so beautiful, answering Romans 10, 000 questions, hugging my sweet huggable kids, holding newborn babies, sleeping next to a warm little infant, watching a child sleep, tickle time, watching my children grow, teaching them, listening to Roman tell people about Jesus, playing hide and seek, looking at the stars, singing songs, playing games, being silly, being crazy.. loving, being loved, seeing love in the faces of my kids..

Well if all that has made me a little insane, then I thank God for giving me these wonderful kids to make me a little insane, because without them, I think I would be pretty gosh darn boring! I wouldn't trade them for any sane life, no way!

1 comments:

Heart of Az said...

I am honored to be your insane friend. You are a wonderfully, witty writer!